Hey, hey! I'm thrilled to finally be sharing a space in our Family Room that's been years in the making. Yep, I said years! Whether it's because of life or my design-ADD, projects don't always move fast around here. But I'm okay with that...it allows me to really enjoy the process, and develop the space to fit our needs best. (Are you buying that? Yeah, me neither.) I shared some of this in my contributor post for Jen at I Heart Organizing, but I wanted to include it here, too.

Remember that time we had a sweet '80s wet bar that practically sang, 'She's my Cherry Pie' every time we walked past it? We used it a grand total of never. 

100_5763

So we enclosed it (along with changing the paint color) and had a more useable, yet dreary, little corner.

picnikfile_EX8D7Z

So I built some Distressed Floating Shelves and a Chunky Desktop, and added some cute desk accessories, and things were improving.

{DIY} Custom Desk Accessories

Then we accidentally bought a big-screen TV during a holiday sale. And it had to be mounted over the fireplace. Which meant the shelves needed to hold all the TV/Media equipment, too. And on top of all that, because it's such a visible area, we wanted it to look tidy and fit the design of the rest of the room. I mean, really, that's a lot to ask of a little nook.

 hi sugarplum chunky desk (13)

So you can understand why I'm so excited to finally have the space meet every criteria we ever threw at it... work / homework / blog / craft space...oh yeah, and media equipment.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook



Between the TV equipment and computer, there's a lot of black going on...so I added a cheerful fabric to brighten up the corner. I wasn't about to unhook all the electronics, so I used over-sized upholstery tacks to hang the fabric on the back wall (no adhesive necessary!). This also allows my design-ADD free reign to easily switch it up.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook


Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Let's take a tour, shall we, and I'll link sources to items and projects.

The desk top holds the computer, task light, writing essentials...and treasures. And the keyboard easily tucks away when we need a small working surface.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

I lined this acrylic tray with decorative duck tape, then added this mug for pens and markers.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Everything is fancier with gold, so I gilded my business cards.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

I took a cue from Megan and covered my mousepad with more duck tape, and even added washi to the keyboard.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

The Paris print (borrowed from Babygirl's Room since she's gone horsey) is a bit distracting since glancing at it usually gets me daydreaming about this trip.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

I wanted to be able to rotate pictures and inspiration, so I hung this magnetic strip on the wall behind the computer.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Right now it holds favorite InstaGram snapshots, and encouraging words. Those I just print out and frame with washi tape.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

The top shelf holds notebooks, my planner, and more office/craft supplies.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

I turned this organizer into a cute desk accessory here. It holds stapler, paper clips, pencils and sharpener, hole punches, stamps and ink pad. I love having it all in one spot here...it cuts down on the, 'Mooooooooooooom! Where's the stapler??'

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

The art was this simple project using a postcard and some thumbtacks.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

The left side holds our monogrammed jar of washi tape and organized DVDs. This little corner of the Family Room has come a long way...and is now a useful and cherry spot we all love.

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Oh, and notice how there's no cords hanging?

 Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Here's what things look like under the desk top.

Hi Sugarplum | How to Hide Power Cords

First we drilled a hole in the desk so we could feed the lamp and computer cords to the outlet below.

Hi Sugarplum | How to Hide Power Cords

I secured all the excess cord using these velcro cable ties.

Hi Sugarplum | How to Hide Power Cords

Then placed Command picture strips on the back of the power cord box thingie, and stuck it to the wall by the outlet.

Hi Sugarplum | How to Hide Power Cords

Of course it helps that the outlet is closer to the desk than the floor. If it were further down, I'd still conceal the excess cord and power supply box under the desk, then run the cord down the wall to the outlet with the same method I use to conceal lamp cords (my all-time most popular post, btw. #randomfact).

Hi Sugarplum | Organized Desk Nook

Do you have an area of your home that's pulling double, or even triple, duty?! Thanks for letting me share our hard-working space!

FAMILY ROOM TO-DO LIST
(click links to see project)

Paint Mantle
Find Desk Chair
Paint/Stain/Replace Sofa Legs
Re-Hang Art Over Chair
Decide Fate of Rugs
New Light Fixture
Decide Fate of Matching Tables

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top