Remember back in 1982 two years ago when I started the Living Room makeover? No really, it was July of 2011 that I revealed the Before pictures, and then the Plans. And you thought progress was slow in your house!!?? Two of the projects on the list (which I'll show at the end of this post if you want to catch-up) was to do something to the nook that feeds off the Living Room, and the pitiful little chest that lives there.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

It's one of those odd little spaces builders like to throw in, and always baffles me when trying to decorate. Currently, along with the discarded nightstand, there are some random objects that landed there with no real intention.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover
DIY for the Gold Vases here.
The nook leads to the Master Bedroom, and also houses the junk storage closet that holds my over-the-top rockstar Gift Wrapping Station. I walk through the little hallway countless times a day, but it never occurred to me to highlight it.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Until three years ago (yes, I said three...baby steps, okay?) when the uber-talented Jill posted about her Chanel-inspired tiny hallway. It was like a light went off in my head (albeit a very dim light), a revelation that my little nook wasn't just a random space to overlook, but a cute spot to let shine. Just like a small powder room, I could have some fun in that little hall!


I toyed with the idea of bright colored walls, a stencil or even wallpaper. But I never saw anything affordable that I loved. Until Kristin posted her cooler-than-cool laundry closet, using a paper that literally made me gasp out loud. I needed that paper. Had to have that paper. I would pay whatever it took to get that paper!!! My obsession only intensified when Courtney used it in her cabinets, too!


Guess where they got it?! And guess who finally got her hands on a few rolls, too?!?!? And surprise, it's only wrapping paper!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover
We're not looking at my manicure, we're looking at the $3 price tag!

And lucky for me, it's a stiff and sturdy paper. I immediately called Kristin, and she encouraged me to go for it, and to use wallpaper paste. I took half her advice, and hung the paper using these little mounting tabs. (You didn't actually think I'd hang real wallpaper, did you?!)


Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

If you follow me on InstaGram (@cassiesugarplum), then you saw what else I was up to last weekend. I knew I only had the patience paper for one wall, so the other walls would get painted. Instead of dragging that decision out for another three years, I just went with the color Emily Henderson used last...Sherwin-Williams Aloof Gray. (Are you seeing a trend with me following other bloggers?)

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/d4599b76440511e3a8bf22000ae81e36_8.jpg

Before hanging the paper on the back wall, I painted the corners of the adjacent walls so I wouldn't have to cut in on them after. On my first attempt, I hung the paper across the top using the ceiling as my level. But apparently my house leans a few degrees because there was a gap on the side, resulting in slightly crooked dragonflies. So this time I followed the wall, and decided to overlook the tiny gap at the top.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

You can see the gap here, but my ceilings are so tall no one will notice in real life. And if they do, then we're no longer friends. I just used a sharp X-acto knife to cut around the doorbell and smoke detector.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Oh, and I simply used a sticky square about every 6-inches along the outer edges, smoothing the paper and placing tabs as I went (don't apply all the sticky tabs at once), then pressing firmly on the paper at each square.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Oh yeah, you can tell this is going to be good, right?

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

The next panel was trickier because I had to align the pattern at the seam. Once that side was up, I used a ruler to smooth the paper to the corner, then followed the crease with an X-acto blade to cut away the excess.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

This is just rude...why does my family think it's funny to see me in awkward, unflattering positions? Just keeping it real around here...dirty hair, yoga pants, big butts and all. Looks like Mr. SP's move has rubbed off on me! And I need to lay off the Halloween candy.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

In the end, all the MacGyver moves and swearing was worth it...this little hall is starting to shine!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

I painted the rest of the walls too, and have decided it may be the most perfect gray ever. Maybe now I can finally paint over the yellow in the Living Room.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Sure there are a few wrinkles, but if you come over and point them out, then we are no longer friends.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Normally I'd have the area styled and staged for the big 'After' photos, but I was just too excited to show you guys the progress. Thanks to Pinterest, we think perfect projects magically happen overnight, but for most of us, it's a long process. One that we fit in between soccer games, laundry, work, and life. Hopefully life gives me a break soon and I can finish highlighting this fun little space! Do you have small hallways and nooks in your home? Do they shine or blend in? You want to lick my dragonflies, don't you?

LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint Hall Chest
Paint/Wallpaper Nook Walls
Paint Backdoor (decided against it)
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
Sand & Stain Secretary
Gold Leaf Back of Secretary

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top