Whew! That was a much-needed weekend! It felt so good to step away from work and responsibilities, and just have fun! This weekend was all about my son's Science Fair project (which involved dry ice and a fog machine!) and finally picking out costumes. Basically, whipping them up in a Halloween frenzy! I hope yours was equally fun and relaxing.

A few weeks ago, when I was picking up my $2 custom mats at Michaels, I spotted giant plaster skull heads...which of course got me thinking of project ideas. (That's totally normal behavior for a home blogger, Mom, no cause for concern.) I immediately thought of my elephant bookends, and wondered if I could do something similar.

So I texted Kristin to see if it would be too weird to cut a head in half. Because using a skull, and cutting a skull, are two different things. When she didn't accuse me of being Dexter, I proceeded.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Skull Bookends

Fortunately, my contractor was around that day (I know, I know, I owe you a Big Box Bathroom update!! It's coming tomorrow!), and he slapped that skull on his fancy-pants saw, and cut it right down the middle. This part did kind of creep me out a bit...watching the blade come down on the head, with his thumb stuck through the eye socket!! I might have turned away. And no, my rockstar-contractor didn't think I was strange. He's used to me and my ideas.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Skull Bookends

The plaster cut like butter (even a hand saw would do the trick), and I sanded down any uneven edges. I thought about spraying them...but decided I love the white just the way it is. Let the record show my rare use of restraint.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Skull Bookends

Unlike my animal bookends, these already sit flat, and have enough heft, so there is no need to mount them to a base. #TWSS

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Skull Bookends

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Skull Bookends

Consider me smitten! So much so, I can't even guarantee they'll come down after Halloween. How's the Halloween frenzy coming along at your house?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top