I mentioned last week that Home Depot asked me to participate in their Patio Challenge...and with the state of our backyard, that is a challenge of gigantic proportions. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. But to give you an idea of the work that lies ahead, this is the After shot...

 Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

"After what!?!?!" you're probably asking. After a full day of pruning, sweeping, digging and scrubbing! It was the necessary first step of preparing the backyard for whatever goodies Home Depot sends our way. You're welcome for sparing you the Before shots.

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress
Yes, the pergola is wonky. Yes, I want to replace it. No, it's not happening any time soon. Boo for budgets.
Even though I don't know what my new outdoor set will look like, I know I'm adding color to the backyard. Duh! Outdoor rugs are pretty easy to find, and fairly inexpensive, but I fell in love with this one from Ikea. (Can't find actual online, but this one is similar.)

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

Problem is, it's a runner, and I need an area rug. But for only $10 each, that was a problem easily solved!



Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

I chose plastic lanyard string to sew them together because:

a) It's virtually the same material as the mats
b) It's super strong and durable
c) I happened to have it on hand
d) All of the above

Yes, C d) All of the Above. I sang Kumbaya and regaled my helper with tales of my Summer Camp days while whip-stitching them together. She was riveted. *not really

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

It's not much, but it's a start! I'm pretty crazy about that little $20 rug...and my {DIY} Starburst Shim Mirror that's held up like a champ! It's been hanging in that spot for almost two years...through snow, heatwaves and monster thunderstorms. Don't doubt the power of a glue gun.

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

I'm trying not to cringe at the bleakness bareness, but rather, see this space as a blank canvas...with nothing but potential!

Hi Sugarplum | Patio Progress

I can't wait to get started...and for Mother Nature to work her magic.

 Picnik collage

What's the state of your outdoor space? Did you make keychains and friendship bracelets with lanyard string as a kid, or do you have no idea what I'm talking about?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top