Do you guys realize Christmas is two weeks from yesterday!? Ack! So much for being ahead of the game around here! I still have more projects to complete and show you! They are mainly just fun ideas for this time of year, I'm trying to slow down and really savor these days.

Yesterday I showed you our cheerful tree, and today I'm going to show you how to make the cute Pom Pom Skirt!

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

I've yet to find a tree skirt I loved, or was willing to shell out the bucks for, so I've always improvised with blankets or sheepskin throws. But this year, it was especially important for us to have a skirt covering our tree's underpinnings. 

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Since our tree moved to the Living Room, next to the big blue armoire, it needed a little boost to appear taller....so I rigged it up like any good blogger would....with paint cans. The plan was to use my new-found sewing skills *snort*, for our new tree skirt. All you need is a round tablecloth (this one is 70-inches, and was $10 at Target), several yards of trim, and sew-on snaps.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

But by the name of this post, you know the sewing part didn't work out so well. The machine jammed 12 times, forcing me to cut the fabric out, so the machine and I broke up. Ikea was gracious about the return, even though the problem was likely me! I've since ordered a Brother (on Courtney's recommendation), so we'll blame her if something goes wrong again. (You're screwed, C!)

But fortunately, this project can carry on with a trusty glue gun, fabric glue or hem tape...so even better a No-Sew Tree Skirt was born! For the center circle, fold the skirt in quarters with the center at the point, then use a bowl to draw, then cut, your arch.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Spread the cloth out and wait for your "helper" to move on.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Cut a single line from the outside edge to the center circle. I goofed and made my circle much too big, so decide where you want the skirt to sit on your tree base before cutting the center circle.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Fold and iron the raw edges of your cut...then sew or glue them down. You can add snaps or velcro to both edges, or take the easy road and safety pin it together once on the tree.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

All that's left is adding your trim. I'm a sucker for pom-pom, so that was an easy choice for me. And since the table cloth is already hemmed, you can attach it to the front or back side. Using hot glue, I just worked my way around the edge. You'll need six yards of trim for a 70-inch round. Or if you goof again and don't get enough, just glue the trim to the front of the skirt and cover the back with presents. I'm told that works fine.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Arrange your skirt around the base of your tree, and close the seam in the back. I had to cinch it in the center quite a bit since I cut the hole too big, so it doesn't spread as wide as I'd like.


No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

Even though this thing gave me some grief, it's an easy and inexpensive project, and adds so much to the tree. Fabric stores have tons of trim options, so you can easily customize your skirt to your decor.

No-Sew Pom Pom Tree Skirt

I'm fairly obsessed with the pom pom peeking out.

Christmas Tree

I hope to climb back in the sewing saddle, but for now, I'm pretty pleased with this No-Sew Pom Pom Skirt!

Christmas Tree

What about you....are you a sewer or a gluer?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top