I'll be the first to admit I have a few quirks (zip it, mom!). I'll straighten a crooked picture in public spaces, can't go to bed until the house is perfectly tidy, overhaul a closet after simply opening the door, and I'm completely incapable of leaving a throw pillow un-chopped!

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (7)

You know the routine...fluff the pillow, put it in place, then give the top a perfect karate chop right in the middle. Wow, that sounds seriously OCD. It's not like I'd repeat the process if the chop wasn't right. I lie. I totally do would.

So you can imagine my distress when my red Target pillows refused to chop!

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (1)

Those babies were so tightly stuffed, my karate hand would fly back in my face.

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (2)

And forget trying to sit on the sofa...the pillow was like a spring board. Although it was kind of funny to watch guests struggle to get comfortable, while being propelled forward.

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (3)

The solution came in the form of an Ikea $6 down insert (posted about them here). Since the pillow cover wasn't removable, it never occurred to me I could change the insert. Turns out, all I had to do was rip open a seam, and replace the 78 pounds of polyester filling with a down insert. Then.....wait for it.....a simple whip-stitch closed the cover back up. Yes, it is the end of time...I used a needle and thread! (Figuring out buttons is next!)

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows

Now all is right in my world because my pillows are perfectly chopped.

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (4)




hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (5)



hi sugarplum how to chop pillows (6)


It might seem like a small and insignificant change (okay, many of you might not even notice it), but I think the pillows look more custom and expensive now.

hi sugarplum how to chop pillows(8)

Do you upgrade your pillow inserts? Better yet...let's poll and see who's a chopper!! Do you prefer your pillows with the perfect pinch in the top, or all plain and straight?

(Red pillows: Target; Green silk: West Elm; Blue zig zag: Missoni for Target)

And even though this wasn't on the list, it still applies towards completing the Living Room Makeover!! Happy weekend, lovebugs!

LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint Hall Chest
Paint/Wallpaper Nook Walls
Paint Backdoor (decided against it)
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
Sand & Stain Secretary
Gold Leaf Back of Secretary

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top