Hey, hey, hey!! I hope you guys had a fabulous weekend. I spent a lot of time in my pajamas since my real clothes are still a little snug from a gluttonous holiday. (I blame these!) Oh yay, back to the Lean Cuisines. That was sarcasm...fortunately I didn't eat that.

How about we get back to projects and original posts?! As nice as breaks are, I start to get a little twitchy after too much down time. So when Home Depot contacted me about participating in another Style Challenge...this time involving their new line of Chalky Paint...I jumped at the chance. I've never used the medium before, but was excited to see if it really sticks like 'they' say it does.

My victim? This banged-up, no-character, laminate-coated, too-orange, old nightstand. How's that for an introduction?!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

If it looks familiar, that's because virtually every bedroom set in the '90s came with one. We've been using it as a little hall storage chest....but really, it was just a space-filler until I could find something better. Hence why I'd never taken the time to sand, prime, paint and seal it. Why bother when I knew it was destined for the curb?!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

But with chalk paint...there's no need to sand or prime...even on laminate surfaces like this sweet baby. And since the paint is latex with virtually no smell, I was able to paint it in the Living Room with no prepping. Which is a bonus considering the frigid temps outside.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Switching out the hardware is always a simple way to upgrade a piece, so I added these inexpensive ring pulls, then got busy styling (my favorite part).

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

So much for curbside-destiny....this pretty little chest has found a forever home with us now!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

To create the vignette on top, I followed my formula for styling coffee tables.
Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover
DIY Gold Vase


And now the nook makeover is complete (see the transformation here and here)! How's that for starting the new year off right?!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Let's bask in the Before & Afters...

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover
My Gift Wrap Station lives on the back of that door.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

I'm especially fond of the view from our bedroom.

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

Yep, the power of paint (and paper, and a little bit of styling) strikes again!

Hi Sugarplum | Hall Nook Makeover

For my tutorial and more details on the paint, check out my post on the Home Depot's blog, The Apron. Did you even know they had a blog?? It's a great source for inspiration and tips.

And just like that, another one bites the dust!!

LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint room
Paint Hall Chest

Paint Backdoor?
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
Sand & Stain Secretary
Gold Leaf Back of Secretary

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top