Creativity, and the desire to be creative, comes and goes for me. There are periods when I have more ideas than time (and money), and others when I couldn't brainstorm a project if you bribed me with tacos. Lately I've been on a creative wave, so I'm riding it out as long as it lasts! (Remember this later if the blog has a dry spell!) Today's project is another that turned out better than I'd envisioned (which is a rarity), and I'm cuckoo over this little spotted vase!

Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase

After I made these Anthro-Inspired Confetti Vases, I started looking around for more glass vessels I could paint. I dug this rectangular vase out of my cabinet, (they sell similar ones at Michaels and Hobby Lobby), some metallic gold craft paint, and a circle stencil dobber-thingie.

Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase

The random placement of dots are inspired by Kate Spade, which is a pattern I've drooled over for years. Just dip your sponge in paint, and gently press down on the glass. Be careful not to move the sponge around, or it will smear the paint. A toothpick is perfect for popping the little air bubbles. I wanted my gold dots to be very opaque, so I did several layers of paint, allowing them to dry in between.


Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase

After 24-hours, I placed the vase in a cool oven and heated it to 400-degrees, baked for 30 minutes, then let it cool completely in the oven before removing. This process hardened the paint, and brought out more of the metallic shine. I've also run it through the dishwasher with no problems (just like the Sharpie Mug).

Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase

It's still chilly outside, but Spring is happening in my Living Room!

Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase


Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot  Vase


Hi Sugarplum | Gold Dot Vase

Polka-dotted glass may have just surpassed my addiction to painted plastic animals! Does your creativity come in spurts, too? Is it just me, or is spurt kind of a gross word? At least I didn't say, 'tender, juicy spurt.' That's a gross word trifecta!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top