Even though it seems like only last month I finished my daughter's Big Girl Room, it's actually been three years. She's grown and changed a lot in that time, so it's only natural she'd want her room to reflect that. Fortunately, we designed the room around colors instead of a theme, so it's been easy to let the room grow with her, without needing a complete overhaul.

Her two favorite things on earth are horses and drawing/painting (evidenced by three years of art parties). So our first step was to replace the Parisian accents with equestrian ones...starting with this {DIY} Framed Photograph. Next, I wanted something fun that reflected her personality, and inspired her, so we created this large word art.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

I've admired Castle's embroidery art for awhile, but it's pricey, and I couldn't find the perfect phrase for my daughter's room, so I decided to make a po-man's version myself!


{What You Need}

Large Poster Frame (mine is from Ikea)
Colorful Felt Pieces
Sharp Scissors
Computer

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

{What You Do}

Typeset your phrase in a basic word processing program (I used 'Blackout' as my font, because that's what my graphic-genius pal, Kristin, told me to use), and experiment with how large you need to make it so the letters fill your frame. Print on plain paper, and cut out the letters.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

Choose your color palette, then use the paper letters as stencils to trace and cut from felt.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

My frame's paper insert happened to be pure white on the back side, so I used that as my canvas. Glue stick was perfect for adhering the felt to the paper, too....especially since liquid glue lines show through felt.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

Then just pop it in your frame and hang! This frame is so light, I was able to use Command strips.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

I love how it picks up all the colors from the room.

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

But mostly I love the conversations that have come from it. She asked why I chose this particular phrase for her, and I said it meant she was lit from the inside out, and full of kindness and a creative spirit that shines on everything she does. Her shy smile confirmed I was right. *gulp*

Hi Sugarplum | Felt Word Art

Do you have a spot for cheerful art like this? What would your phrase be?

***And thanks to MSN for including Babygirl's Room in their Blogger Transformations article! So fun to be featured on such a huge website, and with such great company!***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top