This time last year, in hopes of being more focused and organized with the home projects, I created a list of Home Goals. I am constantly thinking of new projects I want to tackle, and sometimes get so overwhelmed with where to start that I just give up. I'm not alone in that, am I? Today I'm revisiting that list, and grading our progress.

The Kids Bath (which also doubles as the main Powder Room), received a makeover a few years ago, but there was always one place it was lacking.

after 7

The white ceiling clashes with the stripes, and just feels unfinished...so I planned to finally paint it.

Status: The ceiling is still white.
Grade: F But no one looks up at it but me, so we'll change that to a C. (It's my grade book, my rules!)

 IMG_9875


The small Entrance Hall has slowly evolved, and while I love the black doors, they've always felt a little flat and cold to me. I planned to paint them a warmer shade, and add a shot of color somewhere, too.

100_6244

Status: We put in a new, bright rug, and a larger plant, but the doors remain the same black.
Grade: C

Hi Sugarplum | Rug Updates


In 2012, I started four room makeovers. There's never a real rush or deadline since it's my own home, but it drives me nuts to have rooms half done. I know crossing projects off their To-Do Lists won't mean the rooms are 'complete,' but it makes me feel better!

Starting with the Dining Room...here's how it looked at the beginning of 2013...


Dining Room greek key rug

And by the end of the year...

Hi Sugarplum | Pink Walls & Red Ceiling Dining Room

Status: Not just done, but well done! I've still got to show you my How To on the drapes, and tweak a few things...which I'd better do quickly before I start itching to change it up again!
Grade: A-

Dining Room List

(click on each link to see the project)
What to do with the Piano?
Replace Lampshade on Piano
Wall Art?


Next is the Family Room....here she is in 2012

Target Gold Magazine Rack

And now...

Hi Sugarplum | Matchstick Blinds

Status: Yeah, about that...it seems all we did was add matchsticks and finish out the desk nook. But in my defense, we'd already come so far! The good news is I have two seriously big projects almost done!
Grade: C+ The plus is for my good intentions. (My rules, remember?)

FAMILY ROOM TO-DO LIST

Paint Mantle
Find Desk Chair
Paint/Stain/Replace Sofa Legs
Re-Hang Art Over Chair
Decide Fate of Rugs
New Light Fixture
Decide Fate of Matching Tables


I need a confidence boost after that, so let's look at the Breakfast Room...in 2012..

may2 042

And now.....BAM!

Hi Sugarplum | Breakfast Room West Elm drapes

Status: I've decided to add some colorful art, but that will just happen when I find something. Other than that...oh yeah, and showing how we made the drum pendant...this room is D.O.N.E!
Grade: A to the +, baby!

BREAKFAST ROOM TO-DO LIST

The Befores & Evolution

* Do something to the Fig basket so it's not so matchy with the bar chairs
(moved it to a new room)
* Consider amping up the drum shade
(oops, did this, forgot to blog about it)


The Living Room has come a loooooong way, but all I see when I sit in the room are the things left unfinished.

PB Teen Monogrammed Pillows

Especially this secretary, which was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift, and I'm fortunate to now own. It's not in terrible condition, but I know she can shine after a good sanding and new stain. I've never tackled anything like this, so that uncertainty kept me from it last year.

secretary

Status: Only a few projects remain, and I really think once the room is painted, it will feel practically done to me. Who wants to help me make a paint color decision?!
Grade: B I didn't do much, but that re-vamped Nook is enough to keep me from getting a C!

LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint room
Paint Backdoor?
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
Sand & Stain Secretary
Gold Leaf Back of Secretary


The final thing on my 2013 Home Goals list was to 'take back our home.' And by that, I meant our busy life had led to a jumbled mess in almost every cabinet and closet. In order for us to live more productively, I need to create some order. Our storage space is fairly limited, but there's no question I wasn't using what we have to the fullest.

bathroom cabinets


Obviously there are still more unorganized spaces than organized spaces in our home, but we definitely took a big bite out of the clutter.

Status: Check out this post for a round-up of all our organizing from last year.
Grade: A, for Aaaaaaaah, much better!

This post was mostly in jest...I'm not beating myself up over the items undone...but it was both humbling and rewarding to revisit those goals. Looks like our 2014 Home Goals list will look familiar.

Do you make goal lists? I think I need to put, 'Enjoy the Ride!' at the top of mine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top