I'm still slowly working my way through the To-Do Lists in the house (Living, Dining, and Family Rooms), but with the weather so nice, I'm turning my attention outside, too. The front porch has been neglected for several months, so it was time for a spruce-up this weekend! After a few simple DIY projects, we are ready to welcome guests again.

 Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

I'm still crazy about this monogrammed coir mat (from Ballard), but after a full year outside in the elements, it was really faded and tired.

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Instead of investing in a new one, I followed Freckles Chick's lead, and painted it! Using black Patio Paint (found at craft stores), I brushed and dabbed it over the existing letter and border.

Keep reading to see the mat makeover, and how to rejuvenate tired old door hardware.



Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Such a simple project, even my helper pitched in. It took us about 30 minutes, and after curing for 72 hours, the paint is weather-resistant and self-sealing.

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Looks brand new, right?!

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Next up was the sad-looking door hardware. I'd love new door knobs and locks, but those things are ex-pen-sive! I'm not really interested in dropping hundreds of dollars for a freaking door knob?! Not to mention, we'd probably destroy the door trying to get these old ones out.

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Just like this project and this mirror, Rub 'n' Buff gold leaf came to the rescue! Now the knobs have a new, polished brass look. I used a q-tip for the hard to reach nooks and crannies. TWSS

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

After that, I gave the doors a good washing, and planted a couple of ferns. Kimberly Queens are my favorite...they stand tall and don't grow too wide or get droopsy.

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

What kind of a good Southern girl would I be if I didn't have ferns on my porch?!


Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

I had a hankering to re-paint the door a new color, but got lazy decided I liked how it coordinated with the red accents we've got going on inside (I'm talking you, red ceiling.).


Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Here's a little Before & After for you junkies.

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front  Porch

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front Porch

Look at that hardware and doormat shine!

Hi Sugarplum | Spruced Up Front  Porch

Have you scraped the Winter off your porch yet? What's your favorite front porch plant? You're totally eying your old door hardware now, aren't you?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top