Hey, hey friends! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. We covered a lot miles and ate a lot of salt and candy on our Spring Break Road Trip...and it was perfect. I hope to share some of it with you later this week. Today I've got another quick project I whipped up for the Home Depot Patio Challenge. Once I saw all the stellar bloggers participating, I panicked knew I'd better step up my game!

What's the point of having amazing outdoor furniture, if you don't invite guests over to enjoy it with you? I love colorful serving trays, and having several on hand is perfect for shuttling supplies in and out of the house...so I made my own to coordinate with our soon-to-be outdoor room!

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

I like the idea of writing messages, or labeling food on the tray, so I picked up this Ikea Klack tray for $8, which conveniently already has a surface suitable for dry-erase markers. If you aren't near an Ikea (bless your heart), you could use any basic tray like this, and cover the bottom with dry-erase or chalkboard paint.

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

I wanted to keep the base in tact, so I covered it with painters tape and paper.

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Then I gave it several light coats of Rustoleum Real Orange in gloss, followed by a layer of Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze to give the tray a lacquered look.

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray


Of course I can never leave well-enough alone, and I attempted several different border designs. The only reason for this picture, is to show you Mr. Clean Magic Erasers make great stencil sponges...super easy to cut and shape, and a firm density.  TWSS

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

None of the stencil designs were jiving for me, so I went with the fail-proof stripe. I just taped it off and used craft paint, followed by a glossy sealer. Make sure to peel the tape off while the paint is still wet for a smoother line.

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Supposedly, my hand-writing is illegible, so I recruited Mr. Sugarplum to give it a whirl. We used dry-erase markers, and it wiped right off.

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

This cheery tray is going to see a lot of action this Spring...it's cute, and adds a fun element of personalization for every occasion! (Thanks for the amazing cookies, Askanam!)

Hi Sugarplum | Dry Erase Tray

This also serves as a sneak-peek of the colors I'm using in our Patio Challenge....you didn't actually think I'd go neutral, did you?! Have you started prepping things for Spring?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top