When House & Home (such a great shelter magazine, even if everything is sourced in Canada!) published this ingenious DIY Ombre Bedding, I knew I had to try it for myself! I love the imperfections and relaxed look of the watery dye.

IMG_1055

Cheap and easy supply list....rubbing alcohol, black Sharpie marker, spray bottle, clothes pins and white dish towels. Since I wasn't sure of the outcome, I went with a $2 pack of flour sacks from Wal-Mart.

 IMG_1037

Turns out, when rubbing alcohol is sprayed on permanent black Sharpie, it bleeds in a lovely lilac hue! So first step is to draw a thick line along the edge of the towel...I just used the seam as my guide, we're not looking for perfection. Make sure you have a protective layer underneath to prevent bleed-thru.

 IMG_1039

Through trial and error, I found I prefer to first saturate the ink with alcohol while the towel is flat, so it bleeds out in both directions.

 IMG_1040

Then spray again once the towel is clipped up so the ink bleeds down.

 IMG_1041

The more you spray, the more the color spreads, but also becomes more diluted.

 IMG_1043

Once it's dry, just toss in a hot dryer for 15 minutes to set the color. After that, it's machine washable!

IMG_1048

I experimented with different patterns of dots and stripes, but none turned out as well as a single line.

IMG_1052

I think it would look lovely on cotton napkins or throw pillows, too.

IMG_1055

Have you done any projects with dye or Sharpies? I'm hooked on the possibilities!

Psssst- I announced the Home Zada free membership winner, so click here to see if it's you! There's also a discount code for everyone!

***I shared this project with Sarah, the best link party in town!*** 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top