Hi friends! I hope you enjoyed the last weekend in July! Can you even believe how fast the Summer has flown by?! We have exactly four weeks left until school starts, and I intend to squeeze every last drop out of it. Which means we're spending a lot of time in the backyard...swimming during the day, and dinners at night.

We've already spruced up the patio area (thanks to the Home Depot Challenge), but we needed some ambiance in the evenings...so I whipped up a little light fixture using items we had laying around the house.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

This metal fixture has been collecting rust dust in our shed for years, and was just begging for some spraypaint. Actually, unfortunately for them, most items that cross my path are begging for spraypaint.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

After a good power-washing, I chose this raspberry shade, leftover from the Herringbone Basket project, and gave the fixture a few quick layers. Since I'm not using the candle holders, I removed them (after taking this pic) by bending them back and forth until they broke off. I'm sure I was risking tetanus with that brilliant idea.


Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

Then I wrapped a strand of galvanized metal star lights leftover from the Pottery Barn Challenge (it was a challenging Summer #harhar #seewhatIdidthere) around the base.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

The pergola already had twinkle lights criss-crossing it, so we just connected the star lights to one of those strands, and hung the fixture from a hook.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

It's so festive, and the stars set the fixture apart from the rest of the lights, so it really looks like a true light fixture.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

It's even cute during the day, and I love that the space feels like a room in our house, just outdoors.

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light


Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

Hi Sugarplum | DIY Outdoor Light

Who wants to come dine under the rusted-out, metal light fixture with us? I promise it's anchored well. Or well enough.

Other projects seen in this post:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top