Isn't it funny what little things our memories hold on to, and how they shape what we like? I love black olives, but is it because they remind me of eating them straight from the can while playing cards with my grandparents? I reeeally don't like licorice, but is it because I ate a dirty piece I found in the street as a kid?

Same goes for Clove Oranges....they always remind me of Christmas because I made them with my family every December. It was a memory I meant to make with my own kids this past holiday, but we never got to it. I stumbled across the jar of cloves last weekend, and instead of kicking myself for not finding the time, I decided to create new memories, and make them anyway!

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

Cold weather keeps us indoors long past December, and this is the perfect afternoon project to do while cuddled under a blanket. All you need is a jar of whole cloves and some oranges.

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

Using the sharp end of the clove, just push it in the fruit, arranging them in the pattern of your choice. If your orange is particularly tough, or your thumb a little sensitive, use a toothpick or skewer to poke your hole first.

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

As we sat together in the quiet house...chatting, laughing and creating, I realized that was actually the memory that makes me love Clove Oranges so much. I love the conversations that come naturally when working on something peaceful with my kids. And since there's no right or wrong way to these, everyone was content to create their own patterns and designs.

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

And instead of these getting lost in the Christmas hustle, they get to take center stage as a cherry and bright centerpiece for the gray months of January and February. Not to mention, they smell ah-maze-ing!

Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum


Clove Oranges at Hi Sugarplum

So what little memories have impacted your tastes and activities? Do you agree licorice is a nasty little candy? Can you smell the clovey-citrusy goodness through your screen?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top