Hey friends, and happy December! Ack -- it's already December!!?? But I have to say, I am excited for the week ahead...if only because I can't wait to see our new Mudroom in action! It's like the Heavens open every time I walk in....

mudroom

You hear the angels singing, don't you?! The first miracle was completing this project in under a year a month. The second was I actually chose an accent color...on my own, and in a timely manner! Well, Emily's door kind of made it easy for me. While I love the look of a painted door, I despise the chore of painting them. And since this door sees so much action, I worried about the doorknob area getting chipped. So I used my favorite pattern, the stripe, and took the easy road by just painting the center of the door.






 mudroom

I taped off the center stripe, then primed and painted it using SW Straightforward Green (four friggin' coats!). Once the tape came off, I realized it needed a little more something-something...so back went more tape, primer and four friggin' coats of paint, for the thin side stripes.

But it was worth it...I love the sporty spice of the stripe, combined with the preppy of the green. Some of you were pulling for a pink door, but let me remind you of our two doors that are already pink!

Mudroom

Next up, we added the Ikea Hessum rug...it's durable and flat-woven, so it's easily cleaned after messy feet come stomping in...and also latex backed, so there's no slipping or pad required. It also adds great warmth and texture...not to mention, another dose of stripe!

Mudroom

I'm not a fan of the floors, but those shall stay as they are....for now.

Mudroom

A series of large and small hooks work great for keeping all our daily bags ready to go.

Mudroom



Mudroom

We've already had 'the talk' about stopping here every day after school to unload...no backpacks allowed beyond this point!

Mudroom

The wall basket is perfect for holding smaller items like hats and gloves, and the extra basket keeps items I always forget when running out the the door, like sunscreen and bugspray.

Mudroom

The labels are just printed off my computer and stuck to squares of scrap paper...so we'll be able to change them with our needs or season.

Mudroom

The hooks and basket are very sturdy, but don't protrude from the wall much....a big requirement when turning a hallway into a mudroom!

mudroom


The other side holds the car and house keys. I don't know about your family, but it seems we're running late every single morning...so having everything in one spot is priceless!

Mudroom

Mudroom

Chassity made the sweetest comment when she said, "You actually made a room out of a hallway!" I never thought twice about this plain hall in the back of the house...it certainly didn't bring chips and dip to the party.

mudroom progress

But  now, not only is it a much-needed landing zone for our family, but it adds personality from both the Family Room,

Mudroom

and coming in from the garage.

mudroom

There's no question I'm smitten...now the true test begins of actually putting our new Mudroom to good use. So far we've kept the Command Center, Pantry and Gift Wrap Station in good shape, so I have high hopes for this space, too. Any tips???

mudroom


SOURCE LIST:

Wall boards: Home Depot
Wall color: Behr Ashes
Door stripe color: Sherwin Williams Straightforward Green (color matched with Behr)
Hooks: Lowes
Baskets: TJ Maxx
Pendant: Ikea Knappa
Runner: Ikea Hessum
Leopard Scarf on hook: JCrew Factory
Embroidered Fedora: made here

PROCESS POSTS:



* * * * *

And even though I was fawning all over this hall all weekend, I still whipped out a sparkly, fun craft for tomorrow's Christmas Cheer kick-off. So come on back, party people, and link up your Christmas crafts!


***Sharing this post over at Sarah's faboo party!***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top