Wowza, that was a fast weekend! We had a baseball game, and an afternoon at the lake...then BAM, weekend over! I meant to work on a few projects, but ended up baking for hours. Not sure where that urge came from, but it was very comforting. I am excited about today, because I'm finally showing you the new rug in our Living Room!

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Remember when we had the big conversation about keeping things in our home that aren't our style, either out of obligation or because they had sentimental value? That's where I was with the large floral rug that used to live in our Living Room. I inherited it from my grandparents, and since I love(d) them, I had a hard time admitting I didn't love their rug. But I kept it...because who tosses a perfectly good, free rug that comes with sentimental value?! And worse, who replaces a really expensive rug with a much cheaper rug?

Well, turns out...this girl. You guys encouraged me to embrace their memories, not their stuff...so I finally rolled that baby up and replaced it with something much more my style.
I wouldn't be me if I didn't hem and haw, and then hem some more, about the kind of rug I wanted to put in it's place. In the end, though, I went with the one I've been drawn to for years.

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

I think I looked at every Moroccan rug available online, but since this room requires a whooping 9'x12', I waited for a Rugs USA mega-sale, then ordered the Tuscan Moroccan Shag in ivory. Free shipping and no tax is always a selling point for me, too!

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

We've had the rug well over a month, and could not be happier with it. Not only did it completely transform the room by brightening the space and neutralizing the floor, but it is beyond soft and cozy to walk and lounge on. This rug is so thick, you could seriously lose small children in the pile. It's definitely more of a shag carpet than a flat-woven rug.

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

There were a fair amount of fuzz balls floating around the first few weeks, but after several vacuums, the shedding has almost stopped.

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug
Read how I hide my lamp cords here and here.

The rug adds just a touch of texture and pattern, but is no longer the focus of the room. It makes the perfect neutral backdrop for our colorful decor.

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug


Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug
Read how I style coffee tables here.

How about some Before & After action?


Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug



Hi Sugarplum | Moroccan Rug

Before storing away the floral rug, we tried it out in our Pink Dining Room (Mr. Sugarplum was thrilled with that exercise #sarcasmfont), but it was too big. I'm going to hang on to it for now though, because it really is a lovely rug. But without it, the room finally feels like us, and we're so much happier with the space.

I can't believe it took me four years to let go of the unnecessary pressure I was putting on myself to make the rug work. Now if I could just have the same clarity about my grandfather's 5-foot ship currently perched on top of the piano. What are you needlessly hanging on to? Are you a fan of the Moroccan rug?


Click the links to catch-up on the room's makeover:
 
LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint room
Paint Backdoor?
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
Sand & Stain Secretary
Gold Leaf Back of Secretary

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top