Hey, hey, hey! Somehow another Monday is upon us. I hope you guys had a great weekend, and aren't too tweaked because of the time change. I had a productive, yet insanely frustrating, weekend. I decided it was high-time to conquer the beast that had been sitting idle since buying it three months ago on this field trip!

tote bag

I know it doesn't look like much, but that sewing machine has been scaring the crap out of me. (I can't even sew a button!) You may remember I showed you the mood boards for the Dining Room plan, and they included the drapery fabric I bought last year. I thought about no-sewing them (like these and this), but knew that wasn't a good long-term plan for such a visible room. Then I looked into a seamstress, but that only gave me serious sticker shock. For that price, I could buy my own sewing machine...so I did. And it sat.

Just like the drapery fabric, rolled up in the corner of the Dining Room, taunting me every day.

tote bag

I finally decided this weekend I would no longer be controlled by my fear of a little machine. I followed the instructions step-by-step. I watched You Tube videos. I started a Sew It board on Pinterest.

But still, it had me in tears of frustration, and the kids running for cover.

I thought by matching the machine, we'd get along better. Not really.
But finally the heavens opened and it all started to click. I practiced lines and lines of stitches, then figured I should actually make something.

Ta-Da!

Untitled

The good news is, you can totally tell what it's supposed to be (a bag, duh!). But the bad news is it's very odd proportions (oh yeah, and the uneven sides, birds-nests of stitches, and wonky seams).

Untitled
This is her interpretation of my Outfit poses.

I passed it off as a purse made especially for Babygirl. Suckers Everyone bought it! But then she requested I make a real-sized bag, out of her choice of fabrics. Second time was closer to a charm.

tote bag

You don't even want to know my steps, but I mostly followed this tutorial. They call it a 20-Minute Tote, but they're totally lying. It's more like 3-Hours-20-Minute Tote. I kid, normal humans could likely make it faster than me.

And granted I don't know what I'm talking about, but I am really pleased and surprised by my little Ikea sewing machine! It comes with all kinds of little gadgets, threads easily, is self-feeding, and has 13 different stitches. The basic needle had no problem plowing through four layers of fabric and a thick strap.

Untitled
You're supposed to be looking at the needle, not my wonky stitches!
My client was really happy with her new bag, and even tried to stage a fashion show. However, someone kept photo-bombing!!

tote bag

tote bag

I'm not quite confident enough to tackle my drapes yet, but hopefully soon. Until then, oddly-proportioned bags for everyone! It's beginning to look like a homemade Christmas! (Contain your excitement, mom!)

tote bag

Do you sew?! Is it really supposed to be this hard and frustrating?! What is the first thing you made? Please tell me it brings out the worst in you, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top